Home | Community Development Department

Community Development Department


3 N. Lowell Road

(603) 432-3806
(603) 432-7362
Hours of Operation: 

M- F 8 AM - 4 PM


The Community Development Department provides staff support to the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Conservation Commission, and Windham Economic Development Committee. We also oversee the building permit and code enforcement process.

We encourage residents to contact us with any questions or concerns that they may have, or for more information on the Town's zoning and other requirements. Below, are numerous links to items related to our Department, which we hope will be of assistance to you.

Department Forms/Applications:

Workforce Housing Information

Department Fees: 

Helpful Resources

Available to the public: 

If you are looking for information regarding land use and land development in New Hampshire and in the Windham community, you may want to visit the Windham Community Development Department. The Department possesses an archive of books, pamphlets, fact sheets, maps and other resources that are available for public viewing upon request. Topics include:

  • Historical Zoning Maps of Windham
  • Tax, Trail, and Water Resource Maps
  • Transportation & Land Use Studies
  • Aquifers, Watershed Protection, Water Quality, Wetlands, & Shoreland Materials
  • Flood Plain Materials
  • Conservation Topics
  • Stormwater Information
  • Various Land Use Topics 

Types of Developments located in Windham

A full list of materials available for viewing is available at the following links: 

All materials may be viewed at the Department during regular business hours 8am-4pm M-F.

"Windham's Economic Development Strengths and Weaknesses" October 2, 2014 Public Presentation

You can view the power point presentation.

You can read the Economic Development Self-Assement Tool Reports from Northeastern University Dukakis Center for Urban and Regional Policy

Groundwater Resources & You! March 6, 2014  Public Forum

NH DES Presentations - Pierce Rigrod and Brandon Kernen

NH DOT I-93/Rt 111 Presentation

If you missed the June 22nd public information workshop, you can view the presentation here.

Residential Fences

If you are considering installing a fence, please remember a permit is required for all fences.

Municipalities often have different regulations for fences and fence companies do not always know the regulations for all the municipalities they work in. Before you order your fence, please apply for a fence permit, as most fence companies require the home owner to obtain the fence permit.

In Windham, residential fences are allowed to be a maximum of 6’ in height and lower in some areas of the yard.

All swimming in ground pools and above ground pools less than 4’ tall require a fence. The pool fence must meet the New Hampshire State Building Code.

All the Town requirements and permits are available at the Windham Community Development Department 3 No. Lowell Road, Monday thru Friday between 8am and 4pm and online at www.windhamnh.gov. For more information, please contact Dick Gregory at 432-3806 or email at dgregory@windhamnh.gov.

Flood Insurance

Everyone lives in a flood zone, you do not need to live near water to be flooded. Floods are caused by storms, melting snow, blocked drainage systems and broken water mains. Homeowners insurance does not cover damage from floods. All residents in Windham can buy flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program. 25%-30% of all flood losses come from areas considered to be low-to-moderate risk areas. To learn more about flood insurance for your property please visit www.Floodsmart.gov.

Seasonal Conversions in Windham

If you are considering converting a “summer cottage” to year round, you must meet Section 1200 of the Town of Windham Zoning Ordinance. The following are some of the major requirements: the lot meets the dimensional requirements set forth in Section 700 of the Zoning Ordinance, an approved septic system has been installed or an approved septic system design has been obtained, a central heating system, insulation, electrical upgrades in the kitchen and bath and the payment of a School Impact Fee.

Copies of the Town requirements and permits are available at the Windham Community Development Department 3 No. Lowell Road, Monday thru Friday between 8am and 4pm and at www.windhamnh.gov. For more information, please contact Michael McGuire at 432-3806 or email at mmcguire@windhamnh.gov.

2015 ERZ Designation

The Division of Economic Development at the NH Department of Resources and Economic Development have designated 17 parcels of land, within 6 areas in Windham, Economic Revitalization Zones (ERZs). These 6 designated areas are at Wall Street and Rt 111, Range Road, Rt 111 and Rt 111A, and the Village Center, Village Center South and Village Center North (see map of the 3 Village Center areas here).  This designation was requested by the Town to help stimulate economic development, expand the commercial and industrial base, create new jobs, reduce sprawl, and increase tax revenues.