Home | Departments | Town Clerk | Vital Statistics Records

Birth/Death/Marriage/Divorce Certificates

Access to Vital Records

Vital Records are not considered to be public records in the State of New Hampshire. Records can only be issued to the individual to whom the record belongs or immediate family members. Immediate family members include: Parents, Step-Parents, Spouse, Sibling, Grandparent, Aunt or Uncle. We cannot issue to cousins, in-laws or other parties without proof of tangible interest. (For example, a legal guardian can obtain a record with proof of guardianship.) 

Photo identification is required of the person requesting the vital record. If you do not have photo identification, please contact our office for further instructions. 


We provide the following certificates:

Marriage Certificates-  please confirm that you applied for your marriage license with the Town Clerks office in Windham. 1989 – Present

Death Certificates-  1990 – Present 

Birth Certificates- the birth needs to occur in New Hampshire.  1982 – Present 

Divorce decrees- the divorce needs to have occured in New Hampshire. 1990 – Present (within 6 months of current date) 

Births and deaths prior to the above mentioned dates need to be obtained from the town where the event occurred. Marriages prior to 1989 will need to be obtained from the town or city where the marriage license was applied for, not where the marriage took place.  


You can obtain certified copies of any vital record, at a cost of $15 for the first copy and $10/ea for subsequent copies.  Checks, money orders, or cashiers checks can be accepted through the mail.  We can not take payment over the phone. Please be sure to enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope, properly completed request form (Marriage, Birth, Death, Divorce), and a copy of your driver's license.

We can now process any vital record request online by going here.